Saturday, March 11, 2017

A Requiem for Oak Hollow Mall: August 9, 1995-March 10, 2017

Oak Hollow Mall is now closed after less than 22 years. On the last day, nothing but the Dillard's was open. So, a city with more than 100,000 people is now without a mall.

The place should have closed much earlier but due to the obstinacy of Dillard's and Sears, it lingered on until the surprise announcement that I didn't even know about until over a week ago. The pharmacy school fiasco of 2014 also exposed High Point University president Nido Qubein for not being as good of a negotiator as he was made out to be.

The mall was what it was. I'm not going to express my opinion in detail--others have evaluated the situation much better than I ever could. I, however, do remember a high school classmate saying how Westchester Mall should have been expanded and how much my vocational teacher agreed with her--mind you, this was two years after Oak Hollow opened. 

Nobody knows what will happen next, but with all of the major retail in the city's north side, given the divide of the city, is bad news for other parts of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cardiac Pack 2.0

I'm forever grateful that the Wolfpack men's basketball team turned it around when it was almost a certainty that a coaching change ...