Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Era of Superconferences

Nebraska is on its way to the Big Ten. This will supposedly pave the way for four superconferences--the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, and the Pac-12/14/16. Such shifts would kill the Big East and the Big XII conferences. Any teams left out of the seismic shift would be in big trouble, and it could lead to these superconferences breaking away from the NCAA. I have to wonder if such a move would result in an actual playoff for football because the traditional bowl tie-ins would become irrelevant. What about Division I-A football? The conferences left behind would be very few, and the NCAA would likely have to move some of the stronger I-AA conferences up to I-A. Basketball may also suffer from having these superconferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cardiac Pack 2.0

I'm forever grateful that the Wolfpack men's basketball team turned it around when it was almost a certainty that a coaching change ...